As the owner of Speculations Editing Services and Robisch Editorial Services (the academic branch of my business), I am a published author and independent editor with more than 20 years of experience in the publishing industry and more than 15 years of experience as a full-time, independent editor.
I am a detail-oriented and dedicated editor. I will work with you to help you make sure that your writing is clean, correct, engaging, and entertaining. When I am working on your project, it becomes as important to me as my own writing, and that is reflected in my investment in the project and the quality of my work.
My main focus is fiction editing, specifically fantasy, urban fantasy, paranormal fiction, romance, lesbian fiction, and mystery. I am experienced in all levels of editing and offer manuscript evaluation, developmental editing, substantive editing, copyediting, and proofreading.
However, I have experience in many fields, including fiction, science, social studies, education, computer science, architecture, interior design, and parenting.
I am also active in nonfiction, academic, and general fiction editing.
In addition to editing, I offer the following publishing services: consulting on many publishing topics, including self-publishing, traditional and ebook formatting/layout, and traditional and ebook cover design.
- I began writing seriously at the tender age of 14.
- I began work in the publishing business in 1992 and have continuously worked in different areas of publishing since 1995.
- I trained in-house as a copyeditor from 1998 to 2000 before becoming a full-time, independent editor in 2000.
- I have worked on many media types, including books, short stories, poetry, magazine and journal articles, brochures, blog posts, and websites.
- I have edited in many fields, including fiction, science, social studies, education, computer science, architecture, interior design, parenting, and business.
- I am a full member of the Editorial Freelancers Association, Copyediting-L, the Virginia Writers Club, and Blue Ridge Writers and a guest member of Copyediting.com and the newly formed Association of Independent Publishing Professionals.
I am a firm believer that learning is a lifelong process. I try to keep my knowledge expansive and up to date. Informally, I use books, podcasts, blogs, and YouTube videos to increase and sharpen my knowledge of writing, editing, and publishing. I also take formal classes when I get the opportunity to learn from a skilled instructor. Some of the relevant courses I have taken are listed below:
- Copyediting Fiction (Editcetera)
- Introduction to Developmental Editing (Author-Editor Clinic)
- Digital Portraits (Paintable)
- Successful Self-Publishing from Both Sides (Editorial Freelancers Association/Ally Machate)